A wireless repeater, as the name defines, extends or repeat the wireless network signal generated from your home WiFi router. Many users use a repeater to expand the broadcast range of their networks, improving signal strength and allow devices to connect to the home network, even far from the home WiFi router.
Not every Netgear router support wireless distribution system, which is an important part of Netgear router setup as a repeater.
Follow the below-mentioned steps to install Netgear router as a WiFi range repeater. You can also set up your Netgear WiFi router after Netgear Genie app download.
Steps to Install Netgear Router as a Repeater via Genie
- Connect your Netgear WiFi router with an Ethernet cable with the host network. Connect the other end of your Ethernet cable to your desktop/laptop.
- Open any of your preferred web browsers and type Netgear Genie setup wizard in the address bar. Press “Enter”. Even you can visit routerlogin.net to configure your router as a repeater.
- Enter the Netgear router login credentials in the username and password fields. Click on the “OK” button.
- Select “Wireless Settings” from under Genie setup. Note down the Network SSID name, mode, and channel.
- Select “WEP” from Security options. Fill a password into the fields and then hit on the “Apply” button.
- Choose “Wireless Repeating Function” present under Advanced. Note down the MAC address of your WiFi router.
- Disconnect the Ethernet cable from your Netgear WiFi router and connect it back again to the Netgear device to use it as a repeater. Make sure that your Netgear WiFi router is not connected to your modem.
- Try for Netgear genie router login using the setup 2 and 3. Configure your router’s network SSID network name, security settings, and channel match with the same network.
- Hit “Router Status” and note down the IP address, present under the LAN port.
- Click “Wireless Repeating Function”. Again note the MAC address and then choose “Enable Wireless Repeating Function”. Select “Wireless repeater”.
- Enter the IP address of the WiFi router, noted down in Step 9, into the applicable field and then deselect “Disable Wireless Client Association”.
- Fill the MAC address of the WiFi router into the Base Station MAC address field. Hit “Apply” to turn up your Netgear router as a repeater.
- Disconnect the Ethernet cable from your WiFi router. Sign in to your home network and then access the Netgear router setup.
- Visit the Wireless Repeating function page and then choose “Enable Wireless Repeater”.
- Deselect “Disable Wireless Client Association” and then mention the MAC address of the repeater into the respective field.
- Hit the “Apply” button to finish the repeater configuration on the WiFi router.
We hope that our article on how to install the Netgear router as a repeater using Genie setup will prove quite beneficial for you. Somehow if you still struggle with your Netgear device, feel free to share with us through comments.